PhD and ECR Workshop
The Bill Faulkner PhD Scholar and Early Career Researcher workshop is held annually immediately prior to the CAUTHE conference. The full day workshop provides PhD scholars and ECRs (completed a PhD within the past five years and have a teaching or research position) the opportunity to develop relevant knowledge, skills, and expertise through their PhD journey and into the early stages of their career thereafter. The workshop is a great opportunity for up-coming researchers to network with fellow scholars and internationally recognised academics. Senior academics provide their own experience and insightful advice into strategic thinking and approaches for developing a successful long-term academic career.
The 2019 PhD and ECR workshop was held on Monday 11 February, at the Pullman Cairns International, Cairns, in conjunction with the Annual CAUTHE 2019 Conference. The two streams ran concurrently with some sessions being held conjointly. The workshop program included presentations about developing a teaching narrative, research methodologies, Meet the Editors’ Panel session and a research speed dating activity. As usual, targeted mentoring sessions were held with senior academics. Participants were required to submit their CV if they wish to participate in this session. The day finished with an informal networking event where attendees were joined by other conference delegates.
DOWNLOAD CAUTHE 2019 Workshops Program
Mid-Career Academic Workshop
The Mid-Career Academic (MCA) workshop is held every two years immediately prior to the annual conference. The workshop provides MCAs (at least five years a post-PhD completion and have a non-entry-level teaching and/or research position) with strategic and practical advice on academic career development through one-to-one mentoring sessions and panel discussions with CAUTHE fellows and senior professors.
- 2018 University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2016 Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, Sydney
- 2014 University of Queensland, Brisbane
- 2013 Lincoln University, New Zealand
CAUTHE PhD Scholar and Early Career Researcher Bursaries
2019 Conference bursaries are now closed.
CAUTHE offers PhD student and Early Career Researcher (ECR) bursaries to support travel to and attendance at the Annual conference. The bursaries include PhD/ECR workshop and conference registration fees, and up to $1000 for travel, accommodation and other expenses to facilitate access to the conference.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Applicants must be enrolled or working at a CAUTHE Chapter member Institution (contact CAUTHE secretariat if you are unsure); and
- Be an individual Associate or Student CAUTHE member at the time of the application and conference, or join as an individual member at the time of application.
- PhD scholars must be enrolled as a full- or part-time PhD student
- ECRs must have completed their PhD within five years of the conference
- Submit a full-refereed paper to the CAUTHE 2019 conference, with the applicant as the primary author (with the only acceptable co-authors for PhD bursaries being the author’s registered supervisors)
Contact the PhD/ECR bursary representative, Naomi Dale for further information about bursaries.
Workshop & bursary coordinators
Faculty of Business, Government & Law
University of Canberra
Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management
Department of Hospitality and Service Skills
Federation University Australia